Registration and Records


All persons who attend classes at the University must have been admitted to the University; they are required to register and pay the established tuition and fees. The dates, times, locations and procedures for registration are listed each semester on the Registrar's office web page.


MavLINK is the online self-service application providing students with an array of information and direct access to their academic, financial, and personal data. Access to MavLINK is gained by the use of your NUID and password.


The NUID (Nebraska Unique Identification) is a unique 8 digit number assigned to all students, faculty, and staff members during either admission or hiring. This number remains the same across the University of Nebraska and Nebraska State College system. More information about the NUID is available at the following address:

Registration Requirements

Prior to the start of classes each session, students must register for courses according to instructions published on the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) website. To be eligible to register, a new or re-admitted student (one who has not enrolled during the previous two years) must have completed all admission requirements. Prior to registering, a student should seek assistance from an academic advisor within his/her college. Some colleges and departments require advising prior to registering. Every student is encouraged to review the requirements for his/her intended degree with an assigned academic advisor. This review should be scheduled in preparation for and prior to each registration.

Students who have outstanding debts or fees owed to the University will not be permitted to register until these obligations have been met. Academically suspended students may not register for additional course work until an application for reinstatement has been filed with and approved by their collegiate dean. Due to limited facilities and staff, the University cannot guarantee all students will be able to enroll for every course they wish in each semester.

How to Enroll and Make Changes to Enrollment

All adding, swapping, dropping, or withdrawing from courses is completed in MavLINK.

Adding a Class

A class can be added to a student’s schedule via MavLINK until the 100% refund period ends. Start dates are found on the class schedule. Refund dates can be found on the Cashiering/Student Accounts site. Late adds begin after the 100% refund period ends and require permission from the instructor prior to enrollment in MavLINK. A $25.00 Late Registration Fee will be assessed to those students whose initial enrollment takes place after the start of the session. Exceptions to this are thesis, internship, or independent study.

Dropping/Withdrawing From a Class

A class can be dropped or withdrawn from a student’s schedule via MavLINK up until the last day to withdraw. The last day to withdraw can be found on the Academic Calendar. Students can also contact the Office of the University Registrar to verify the last day to withdraw. Requests to drop a class submitted via fax or U.S. mail will be processed based on the dates appearing on the fax or U.S. mail postmark.

Drops can only be completed in the 100% refund period of your course. If students drop the course from their schedule during this period, it will not be listed on their academic transcript.

Withdraws can be completed up until the last day to withdraw for the semester. The last day to withdraw can be found on the Academic Calendar. If students withdraw from a course, a grade of "W" will be listed on their academic transcript. "W" grades have no impact on the academic GPA. 

Students who drop or withdraw from one or more classes, or who completely withdraw from all courses will be obligated to UNO for that portion of tuition that is indicated on the refund schedule. Students who completely withdraw are also obligated to pay the non-refundable portion of tuition and fees for the class(es) from which they are withdrawing. Students who are currently enrolled can click on the "refund" link next to each class in their schedule inside MavLINK to check refund percentage dates.

Swapping a Class

Swapping a class allows students to save their space in the original class while trying to enroll for a new course. It's a safer way to make changes to their existing class schedule during periods in which a lot of other students are also enrolling for their classes.

  1. Swaps must be done on the same day.
  2. Swaps are allowed during the first week of the standard semester. For classes that are outside the regular session, it will be necessary to contact the Office of the University Registrar to complete a swap.
  3. Swaps are only allowed for classes in the same session.
  4. Classes used for swaps cannot be used again for another swap.

Permission Numbers

A Permission Number is entered via MavLINK. A permission number must be entered for any courses that require instructor or department consent. A permission number will also override any prerequisite or GPA requirement, as well as a closed course. A permission number will NOT override a time conflict. The instructor or advisor must request a time conflict override through the Office of the University Registrar on the student’s behalf.

Receiving a permission number does not register the student for the course. It only means they are able to proceed with enrollment for that course. Once the permission number is issued, the student must register via MavLINK for the course using the number provided.

Permission numbers are BOTH course section and term specific. The student must ensure the permission is issued for the exact course he/she wants. The student will NOT be able to register for a different section of the same course. For example, if a permission is issued for ENGL  1160-003, they will not be able to register for ENGL  1160-006. A new number will need to be issued for the student by their advisor or department contact. Remember, permission numbers can only be used once.

Permission numbers not used before the end of the 100% refund period will be deleted. A new number will need to be issued to enroll after the 100% refund period.

Registration WaitList

A registration waitlist is an electronic process that auto-enrolls students in closed classes as seats become available. This enables students to get into the classes they want without having to continuously check for possible openings. Waitlists operate on a first-come, first-served basis, so this process ensures that students who register for the waitlist sooner have a better chance of getting into a closed course. Waitlists are only available once the class is full. For high-demand classes, this may be the first day of registration or, for other classes, as late as the week before the term starts.

Waitlisted classes do not count toward a student’s enrolled hours. If a student’s financial aid requires full-time enrollment, he/she needs be sure to enroll in enough credits without counting waitlisted classes. Each department is responsible for determining if their class offerings should have a waitlist or not.

For courses with no waitlist available, students will need to check regularly for possible openings. Students may add themselves to any number of waitlists but will not be enrolled beyond the maximum number of hours allowed for that term. Students may remove themselves from a waitlist by following the same process as dropping a class. More information on the Registration WaitList can be found at:

Audit Registration Policies and Procedures

All persons wishing to audit a course must be admitted and eligible to enroll in classes for the term in question. Students may only register to audit a course on or after the first day of the semester. Audit students may not participate in recitation, turn in papers, or take examinations. Academic credit is not awarded for audited courses nor do they apply in counting hours for full- or half-time status. Foreign language and physical education activity courses cannot be taken on an audit basis. Audit registration is subject to available class space, requires the written permission of the instructor, and must be done in person at the Office of the University Registrar, Eppley Administration Building 105. Audit tuition is one half of the applicable resident undergraduate or graduate tuition rate. The half-price tuition rate for audit courses is available only during the first week of the semester. Audit enrollments are assessed the same student fees as credit enrollments. Likewise, audits are refunded at the same rate as credit enrollments.

Students who register to take a course for credit and change to audit after the first week of class will be required to pay the full applicable tuition rate.

Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Classes

An undergraduate student who is pursuing a baccalaureate degree at the University may be granted permission to take one or more graduate courses if the student meets the following conditions outlined below.  Students pursuing the approved 4+1 programs do not need to complete this form.


  1. No credit earned under this provision may be used to fulfill any of the requirements for the undergraduate degree.
  2. A maximum of 12 credit hours at UNO may be earned under this provision.
  3. The student must have at least a 3.50 Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale in the undergraduate major.
  4. The student must secure the signatures of his/her undergraduate dean, advisor, department chair/school director, and the course instructor before presenting the required form to the graduate dean.
  5. Juniors at UNO are allowed to enroll only in courses designated with the 8000 level.
  6. Once permission is granted by the graduate dean, the student must return to the department or school for a permission number to complete enrollment in the graduate course(s).


  1. No credit earned under this provision may be used to fulfill any of the requirements for the undergraduate degree.
  2. A maximum of 12 credit hours at UNO may be earned under this provision.
  3. The student must have at least a 3.0 Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale in the undergraduate major.
  4. The student must secure the signatures of his/her undergraduate dean and department chair/school director before presenting the required form to the graduate dean.
  5. Once permission is granted by the graduate dean, the student must return to the department or school for a permission number to complete enrollment in the graduate course(s).


Classes are conducted on the premise that regular attendance is desirable. The individual instructor has responsibility for managing student attendance and for communicating at the beginning of each semester those class attendance policies which prevail in that course.

If a student is absent or anticipates an absence, the student’s primary responsibility is directly to the instructors and the student should consult with them accordingly. If a student anticipates absence for an extended period, the student should promptly notify instructors and be prepared to document the reason for extended absences.

Instructors or other University officials who may require students, individually or collectively, to be absent from their classes due to a field trip or similar officially-recognized activity are responsible for providing adequate information to the students involved so they may provide notice to other instructors.

Should there be cause on the part of the individuals involved to feel the reasons for absence were not considered with equity, a decision with punitive consequences may be appealed. The appeals procedure is the same as that provided for in each collegial unit for other academic, classroom-related items (grades, cheating, etc.). The student should submit the justification for the appeal in writing to the department chair and, if unsatisfactory, to the collegial dean. The final step in the appeals process rests with the student submitting a written statement requesting the consideration of the respective dean’s advisory council, indicating the specific nature of the appeal to be considered. The advisory council’s recommendation to the respective dean will be the last step for the student, and the dean’s decision will constitute the final determination for the University.

The routing of appeals shall be in the department and collegial unit offering the course in which the student is enrolled.

Student Holds

A hold can be placed on a student's record for reasons including but not limited to:

  • Non-payment of debt (tuition payments, parking tickets, library fines, etc.)
  • Academic suspension
  • Failure to meet immunization requirements
  • Required academic advising
  • Missing admission information
  • Non-compliance with other university regulations/obligations

A hold on the record can impact one or more of the following:

  • Enrollment – ability to register for classes (Dropping and withdrawing from classes will need to be completed in person at the Office of the University Registrar.)
  • Receiving a transcript
  • Refund from Student Accounts

Class Standing

A student’s academic classification is determined by the number of semester hours of academic credit earned.

Academic Classification Range in Semester Hours
Freshman 0 through 26
Sophomore 27 through 57
Junior 58 through 90
Senior 91 or above

Student Academic Course Load

  1. A normal student load is 12 to 17 credit hours.
  2. Full-Time Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours in a fall semester, spring semester, or summer term to be considered a full-time student.
    Half-Time Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours in a fall semester, spring semester, or summer term to be considered a half-time student.
  3. Students shall not carry 18 or more semester hours of work during the fall and spring semester and 12 semester hours during the summer sessions unless they have maintained an average of “B” (3.0) in a regular 15-hour load during the preceding semester. Permission to register for 18 hours or more should be obtained from the student’s academic advisor.
  4. Audit hours do not apply in counting hours for full-time status.

Course Information

Course Numbering System

The system of course numbers is arranged to indicate the level of instruction.

The first figure in each number designates the group to which a course belongs:

Numbering Description
1000-1990 Courses open primarily to freshmen
2000-2990 Courses open primarily to sophomores
3000-3990 Courses open primarily to juniors
4000-4990 Courses open primarily to seniors
8000-9990 Courses open only to graduate students

For the most current, up to date listing of course descriptions, visit our website at

From time to time courses may be added or dropped from a curriculum. All courses listed in this catalog cannot be offered each semester. Some departments indicate which semester the course is normally offered. While the departments will attempt to follow the guidelines established for periods of course offerings, there is no guarantee the course will be offered during the semester indicated. Furthermore, students cannot be guaranteed placement in a course offered during a particular semester.

Online Class Definition

UNO offers two types of online courses. Totally Online courses are 100% online and students are never expected to meet face-to-face. Partially Online courses are 50% or more online and students are required to meet face-to-face at least once.

Academic Course Credit

All credit courses offered by the University may be applied toward any degree or certificate granted, except as stated by each department.

The amount of credit assigned to a course is determined by the number of hours per week a class is in session, with some exceptions such as laboratory, physical education, band and choir. A course scheduled to meet three hours per week for a semester, therefore, merits three semester hours credit. No more credit than the amount stated in the catalog is permitted in any course. 

To receive credit, all work must be done under the supervision of a member of the faculty.

Course Prerequisites

Course prerequisites are automatically met based on previous coursework completed while at UNO or through transfer credit as determined by the student’s advisor.

If the attempted enrollment results in an error indicating that prerequisites have not been met, students must contact their academic advisor or college advising office.

If a student is allowed to enroll without the necessary prerequisites, a permission number must be issued by the academic advisor or the department and entered into MavLINK during the enrollment process.

Course prerequisites can be found by viewing the online catalog, or by logging into MavLINK, selecting "Class Search" and clicking on the title of a course listed. 

Credit Hour Definition

The University of Nebraska at Omaha uses the Federal definition1 of a credit hour, which states:

A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally-established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  • One hour2 of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks;
  • Or at least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other activities as established by an institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work and other academic work leading toward the awarding of credit hours.

1 Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
2 A class hour at the University of Nebraska at Omaha is typically 50 minutes.


Grading Scale

Grades are determined by the daily record of the student and the record made on quizzes, mid-semester and semester examinations. The weight attached to each of these factors is determined solely by the instructor of the course.

The grading system is as follows:

Symbol Definition Quality Points
A+ outstanding 4.0
A outstanding 4.0
A- outstanding 3.67
B+ proficient 3.33
B proficient 3.0
B- proficient 2.67
C+ satisfactory 2.33
C satisfactory 2.0
C- satisfactory 1.67
D+ below standard 1.33
D below standard 1.0
D- below standard 0.67
F failing 0
CR credit *
NC no-credit, failing *
NR no grade reported *
S satisfactory: Grade of “C” or better for graduate “D” or better for undergraduate *
U unsatisfactory, failing *
AU audit *
I incomplete: Follow rules listed in catalog; cannot be changed to “IP”; can be extended by one semester by instructor request to Registrar. *
IP course in progress: Used for thesis, independent study, research project, or other arranged course; applies to both graduate and undergraduate; remains indefinitely. *
W withdrew (good standing) *
R repeated course *

* — not used in calculating grade point averages


To receive an “incomplete,” students must contact their professor prior to the end of the semester, request a grade of incomplete, and make arrangements to complete the work. The rules which govern the issuance of the incomplete are as follows:

  1. The grade “I” is used by an instructor at the end of a semester or summer session to designate incomplete work in a course. It is given when a student, due to circumstances such as illness, military service, hardship or death in the immediate family, is unable to complete the requirements of the course in the term in which the student is registered for credit. Incompletes will only be given if the student has already substantially completed the major requirements of the course.
  2. Each instructor will judge each situation. The instructor will also indicate by a departmental record, with a copy to the student, how the incomplete is to be removed, and if the instructor is at the University at the time of removal, supervise the makeup work and report the permanent grade.
  3. In the event the instructor is not available at the time of the student’s application for removal of an incomplete, the department chairperson will supervise the removal of the incomplete and turn in the permanent grade for the student.
  4. A student shall have no longer than the end of the next regular semester following receipt of the “I” to remove the incomplete. After that time, the “I” will automatically become a “W,” or such other grade specified by the instructor depending on the amount and quality of the course work previously completed. Exceptions to this rule will be permitted if initiated by the student and approved by the instructor, department chairperson, and dean. Exceptions to this rule will be made only in response to circumstances over which the student has no control, and these must be detailed. 
  5. In registering for courses, students receiving one or more “I” grades from the previous semester should take into account the time needed to complete the required work and plan their schedules accordingly.
  6. Courses with Incompletes do not count towards credit hours in future semester’s when determining enrollment status.

Grade Appeals Procedure

Students wanting to appeal a grade given for a course should refer to the college in which the course was offered for the appropriate procedure.

Academic Amnesty

Each college has established a policy and procedures for students who wish to declare academic amnesty for one or more semesters. Students should read the Academic Amnesty policy for their college in this catalog or contact their Dean’s Office. Students who declare Academic Amnesty are not eligible to graduate with honors.

Grade Point Averages (GPA)


The GPA included on the student's transcript reflects courses taken only in the University of Nebraska System (UNO, UNL, UNMC and UNK).

Degrees with Honors GPA

Grades awarded in ALL courses taken at ALL colleges and universities attended are included in computing the GPA for determining eligibility for graduation honors. This cumulative GPA takes into account a student’s complete academic history, including course repeats.

No Report "NR" Grades

If a No Report “NR” grade is reflected on a grade report, the student should immediately report it to the faculty member. A grade of “NR” is not a terminal grade and must be changed to the appropriate letter grade.

How to View Official Grades

Students can view grades via MavLINK immediately after they are posted by the instructor. Official Grades are available in MavLINK under the Academics tab or on the Unofficial Transcript. Final grade reports are not mailed out to students nor can grades be provided over the phone. 

Credit/No-Credit (CR/NC) Privilege

  1. Students need permission to take a course Credit/No-Credit from the instructor and from the department chair. This is done by obtaining a Credit/No-Credit registration form from the Office of the University Registrar in Eppley Administration Building 105, and obtaining the required signatures.
  2. The primary objective of the Credit/No-Credit privilege is to encourage students to attempt courses in areas they would normally avoid due to lack of background. The Credit/No-Credit privilege, therefore, extends the concept of a liberal education and for this reason it will not ordinarily be available within a student’s major or minor unless written approval of the department chairperson is given.
  3. Each college and department has the final authority in determining the extent of its participation in the program. All students should be made aware of the applicability of this program in the college in which they are enrolled.
  4. A minimum grade of “C-” is required to receive credit (for CR/NC courses).
Rules Governing Credit/No-Credit
  1. A maximum of 24 hours may be taken for university credit on a Credit/No-Credit basis. This privilege may be restricted by each department or college.
  2. Waiver of prerequisites for courses taken on a Credit/No-Credit basis shall be determined by the department offering the course.
  3. Those students with less than 58 semester hours of academic credit earned may not take more than two courses during a regular semester and not more than one course during a summer session on a Credit/No-Credit basis.
  4. The deadline for declaring the Credit/No-Credit grading option for a class is at the end of the 50 percent refund period. The 50 percent refund period is the end of the third week for fall/spring semester classes and the proportionate period for summer classes.
  5. A student may change from a Credit/No-Credit basis to a graded basis prior to the end of the last day for officially withdrawing from a course during a semester, but not thereafter.
  6. A grade of No-Credit will be recorded on a student’s record but will not be included in determining the cumulative grade point average.
  7. Faculty will report Credit or No-Credit designations for all students enrolled in a given course on that basis. All faculty are responsible for informing students who enroll on a Credit/No-Credit basis of their grading standards during the first week of class in a semester.

Repeating Courses UNO Policy on Grades

Undergraduate Courses

When an undergraduate course is repeated, only the most recent grade will be calculated into the GPA.

  • Letter-graded courses must be repeated for a letter grade.
  • ALL courses and grades will continue to be a part of the student’s permanent record (transcript).
  • When determining eligibility for graduation with honors, every grade awarded is computed into the GPA.
  • Repeats must be completed before a degree is granted. Once a degree is granted, repeated courses will not change the GPA established at the time the degree was awarded.
  • Students may replace grades earned at another University of Nebraska system campus if the articulated equivalent course is taken at UNO. Students should consult with an advisor prior to enrolling in courses at UNO to ensure that the direct equivalent course is taken. Upon completion of the course, either the student or the advisor must contact the Office of the University Registrar, 105 Eppley Administration Building, to have the previous grade removed from the GPA.
Undergraduate Courses - Special Exceptions

Some courses, such as thesis, internship, physical activity, special topics, or independent study may be repeated without removing the previous grade. (A complete list of these courses can be found at For these undergraduate courses, only grades of F will be removed automatically when these courses are repeated. All other repeats must be done by contacting the Office of the University Registrar,105 Eppley Administration Building, and completing the “Removal of Previous Grades” form. 

Graduate Courses - General Rule

Only grades of C’s, D’s, and F can be repeated, and only the most recent grade will be counted into the GPA.

  • Letter-graded courses must be repeated for a letter grade.
  • All courses and grades will continue to be a part of the student’s permanent record (transcript).
  • Repeats must be completed before a degree is granted. Once a degree is granted, repeated courses will not change the GPA established at the time the degree was awarded.
Graduate Courses - Special Exceptions

For courses such as thesis, internship or independent study, repeats are subject to the same rules as listed above under General Rule. Repeats in this category cannot be done automatically. Students must contact the Office of the University Registrar,105 Eppley Administration Building, and complete the “Removal of Previous Grades” form.

Academic Performance

A student must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or above to remain in “good academic standing” at the University. However, the colleges may require a higher grade point average.

For purposes of participation in recognized extracurricular activities, “good academic standing” is defined as a cumulative GPA of at least 1.75 for the first 45 hours attempted and at least 2.0 for 46 or more hours attempted, including all college level courses taken for credit at the University of Nebraska.

Academic Honors

Full-Time Dean's List and Part-Time Dean's List

Students seeking their first bachelor’s degree are eligible for this academic honor. Students must earn a minimum of 12 quality hours with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 in a given fall or spring semester for full-time students, and consecutive fall or spring semesters for part-time students. These academic honors are not offered during the summer term. Part-time students whose honors are considered on a continuous enrollment will have summer hours included in their calculations for Dean’s List. Dean’s Lists are posted to the academic record only during the fall and spring semesters. Contact UNO’s Office of the University Registrar, 105 Eppley Administration Building, with any questions.

Full-Time Chancellor's List and Part-Time Chancellor's List

Students seeking their first bachelor’s degree are eligible for this academic honor. Students must earn a minimum of 12 quality hours with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 in a given fall or spring semester for full-time students, and consecutive fall or spring semesters for part-time students. These academic honors are not offered during the summer term. Students earning the Chancellor’s List honor will also earn the corresponding full-time or part-time Dean’s List honor. Contact UNO’s Office of the University Registrar, 105 Eppley Administration Building, with any questions.

Probation and Suspension

Academic Probation

A student whose cumulative grade point average is below 2.0 after having attempted six or more semester hours will be placed on probation. Probationary status will remain in effect as long as the student’s cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) remains below 2.0. No student will be allowed to enroll for any course on a pass/fail or Credit/No-Credit basis while on probation. Probation constitutes a period of formal warning that the student is doing unsatisfactory work.

The student is encouraged to use every opportunity during time on probation to seek counsel and guidance from various university agencies which have been established to offer assistance in study and academic planning. For information on such services, the student should consult with his or her academic advisor or counselor.

Academic Suspension

Students will only be suspended at the end of the spring term. This rule applies to all UNO colleges, including the Academic and Career Development Center and all University of Nebraska-Lincoln based programs in the Colleges of Architecture, Agriculture, and Engineering.

Students who are on probation will be suspended at the end of the spring semester when their semester Grade Point Average is lower than 2.0 and the cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) falls below the following standards:

Hours Attempted Cumulative GPA
0-12 No Suspension
13-45 1.75
46 or more 2.00

Suspensions under these conditions will be automatic. Academic suspension will be for a minimum period of one year.

Students will be notified by their primary academic college of their suspension and given instructions on how to appeal, should they choose to do so, and any appropriate deadlines associated with an appeal.

Appeals properly filed shall delay implementation of the suspension until the appropriate appeals committee has acted. However, if the appeal is denied the student shall be dis-enrolled and tuition shall be refunded.

Reinstatement Following Suspension

Students wishing to be reinstated following their one-year suspension from the University of Nebraska at Omaha shall schedule an advising/reinstatement meeting with the College from which the student was suspended. It is recommended the student schedule an advising/reinstatement meeting at least one month prior to the official beginning of the semester or term for which the student is applying (refer to academic calendar for specific dates).

Academic Calendar 


The Academic Year

Two semesters of approximately 15 weeks each constitute the academic year. The unit of instruction is the semester hour, which signifies one recitation a week throughout the semester, or equivalent.

Prep Week

The last week of regularly scheduled classes during fall and spring semesters is designated as Prep Week. Except for makeup examination tests in self-paced courses, post-tests in the English Composition Program or laboratory exams, no major examinations (accounting for more than 20 percent of a student’s grade) may be given during this period. Papers, projects or presentations assigned well in advance (at least two weeks) of Prep Week may be due during this period.
(Faculty Senate Resolution)

Final Exams

The last week of fall and spring semesters is designated as Final Examination Week. Exams for classes may be scheduled at other times during Final Exam Week upon mutual agreement of all concerned. Instructors of totally online classes should arrange their final exams during Final Exam Week. Instructors of partially online classes should contact the Office of the University Registrar to find an on-campus exam location if necessary. Exams for summer or special session courses will be held on the last meeting day of the course.

Class Schedule

The UNO public class search is available online at Course offerings are subject to change. Final authority for changes in course offerings rests with academic departments. For questions concerning course offerings, contact the academic department. For general information about enrollment or instructions on how to use MavLINK, visit the Office of the University Registrar’s Enrollment page at:

Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit Policies and Procedures

  • Credits submitted only on official transcripts from other colleges or universities will be evaluated for admission to an undergraduate college by the Office of Admissions. Transcripts will become a part of the student’s permanent record maintained in the Office of the University Registrar. Transfer hours (and hours not accepted for transfer) from another institution are included in the overall GPA when determining honors for graduation. Final determination of transfer credit acceptance is ultimately made by an academic advisor in the student’s area of study.
  • In general, credits and grades earned at other University of Nebraska campuses will be accepted, computed into the student’s grade point average, and will become a part of the permanent record from which official transcripts will be made.
  • Only courses with a grade of “C-” or better will be accepted for transfer from regionally accredited two- and four-year colleges and universities.
  • Sixty-four (64) semester credit hours is the maximum allowed for transfer to most undergraduate UNO colleges from regionally accredited two-year colleges. The College of Engineering will allow a maximum of sixty-six (66) semester hours of credit.
  • All credit hours transferable are converted to semester credit hours (e.g., one-quarter hour equals 2/3 of a semester credit). 
  • Each UNO college has a required number of credit hours to be completed at UNO prior to graduation.
  • Students wishing to transfer credits from recognized institutions outside the United States may need to provide a course syllabus and catalog for evaluation of transfer credits.

Transfer Articulation Guide

The Transfer Articulation Guide is a tool students can use to see how coursework from other colleges and universities typically transfers to the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO). The information is provided only as a guide and should be considered unofficial. Final determination of transfer credit acceptance is ultimately made by an academic advisor in the student’s area of study. To view the articulation guide visit:

Change of Campus

A Change of Campus application will need to be completed for any student who is attending or has attended one of the four campuses of the University of Nebraska System within the last five years and is applying for admission as a degree-seeking student at a new NU campus. A new application for admission will need to be completed to the new campus. Please visit: for the Change of Campus application.


An Intercampus application will need to be completed for students planning to attend a new Nebraska System Campus on a temporary/visiting basis, with the intention of returning to their current/home campus. Students should complete the Intercampus application at Intercampus is for one term of enrollment only.

Advanced Placement Credit

The Advanced Placement Program is based on the belief that many students are capable of completing college-level courses while still in high school. With this belief in mind, the College Entrance Examination Board assists high schools in planning such courses and provides examinations for them.

The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) participates in the Advanced Placement (AP) program of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). Advanced Placement credit is based on criterion examination(s) administered by CEEB.

Students should contact their college advisor regarding the application of these credits to their academic program. Students must have official copies of their scores submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by College Board in order for credit to be awarded. To obtain copies of official grade reports, you can contact College Board directly at (888) CALL-4-AP. 

The Office of University Registrar manages the Advanced Placement Program at UNO. For additional information visit:

College Level Examination Program

The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) grants college credit for specific College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Exams with an acceptable score.

CLEP exams are given by appointment in the UNO Testing Center. To view UNO CLEP exams UNO grants credit for visit:

Military Credit

Students must submit official transcripts to UNO to have military credit considered for evaluation:

  • Army, Coast Guard, Navy and Marine service members, reservists, guard and veterans can request the Joint Services Transcript.
  • Air Force Active Duty, Guard and Reservists or retired or separated Air Force Members may request transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force.

Military Credit will be evaluated by the student’s advisor in the college upon admission.

Retroactive Credit

Students may be eligible to apply for Retroactive Credit in English, Spanish, and French based on test scores in:

  • English Placement / Proficiency Exam (EPPE)
  • Advanced Placement
  • Spanish and French Placement Exams

Successful completion of a specific upper level UNO course is also required. Credit is granted through the specific department:

Please contact the specific department for more information.

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum leading to exams for students aged between 16 and 19. Students who participate in this program enroll in specially designed courses through their high school and take international exams in May.

Students with an IB Diploma earn an average of 25-28 university credits, including three (3) hours of credit in Philosophy for completing the Theory of Knowledge course.

  • The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) cooperates with the International Baccalaureate Program (IB) in its curriculum and examinations program.
  • The results of the IB scores are furnished to UNO at the request of the student.
  • The number of earned credits a student will receive at UNO will be determined by the performance in the IB course and the score received on the exam.
  • To earn transfer credit, a score of five (5) or higher, in most exams, is required.
  • Credit will be granted for both the Standard Level (SL) and the Higher Level (HL) scores if an IB Diploma has been earned. HL scores for all other candidates will be awarded accordingly.

More detailed information can be found on the International Baccalaureate website.

For information about how UNO accepts International Baccalaureate exams visit:

Student Information

Change of Major or Academic Program

Undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to identify major areas of study in conjunction with their academic advisors early in their academic career. In order for an undergraduate student to make a change to the declared major or minor program of study, he/she will need to speak to the department that houses the program.

An appointment with an academic advisor may be required and is suggested in order to review requirements. Once a student has decided to make the change official, a “Change of Undergraduate Academic Program” form must be signed by the necessary departmental representative as well as the student and turned into the Office of the University Registrar.

Official Academic Transcripts

Transcripts contain academic information such as course work, grades, credit hours, Grade Point Average and UNO degrees earned.

Before an official transcript can be released, all financial or administrative obligations to the University must be resolved. Holds can be viewed through MavLINK. 

UNO transcript requests can only be completed online. Requests made via phone, email, or fax are not accepted. Transcripts can be ordered by students via their MavLINK. 

To learn more about ordering your transcripts online visit:

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records to ensure they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  4. The right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by the University of Nebraska at Omaha to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
  5. The right to obtain a copy of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's Student Records Policy. A copy of the policy is available at the Office of the University Registrar, 105 Eppley Administration Building.

A copy of the policy is available at the Office of the University Registrar, 105 Eppley Administration Building.

Civil Leave (Statutory Leave)

When a student receives a written notice to provide mandated community service as an election official, juror or witness, he or she must notify the course instructor of the time when the service will be required, within five business days after notice of mandated service is received by the student (or at the start of the semester if notice is received prior to the semester). A copy of the notice must be provided to the instructor.

The instructor will allow the student summoned to mandatory community service an excused absence from the course on the day(s) required for Statutory Leave.

Upon request of the student taking leave, the instructor will ask for another class member to take notes during the period of Statutory Leave.

If Statutory Leave occurs during a critical period in the course (e.g. an exam; in-class graded assignment; group project; participation-required day), the instructor will work with the summoned student to determine if the missed day(s) will likely have a negative impact on the student’s grade and whether the assignment or exam can be accommodated at a later time.

If Statutory Leave causes an extensive loss of class time for the student or will likely negatively impact the student’s grade or learning experience, the instructor and student will determine whether it is best for the student to receive a grade of Incomplete or Withdrawal for the course.

If a grade of Incomplete is chosen, the instructor and student will formally document the procedure required to complete the course.

If a grade of Withdrawal is chosen, the student should receive a prorated refund of tuition and fees paid for the course.

Student Called into Military Service

Executive Memorandum No. 23
    This Policy shall be implemented in order that the University of Nebraska might provide equitable, consistent treatment to its students who are called into military service and to facilitate their ability to continue their education once that military service is completed.
    Students who are regularly enrolled in any class or program offered by the University of Nebraska are eligible for the benefits described in this Policy, if they: (a) belong to a military unit that is called into active duty, or (b) are drafted and not eligible for deferment; such that the date upon which they are required to report to active duty prohibits them, as a practical matter, from completing the term in which they are enrolled.
    An eligible student may elect to cancel registration in all classes in which he or she is enrolled at the time the call for duty is received. In such case, the student shall receive a full refund for all tuition and student fees paid on behalf of that student. In the alternative, the student may request his or her instructors to award a grade or an incomplete for all classes. If an incomplete is given, then the instructor shall file in the student’s educational records and provide to the student specific instructions regarding the study and activities required to complete the course. If a grade and credit are awarded, then the instructor shall award a grade reflective of the student’s performance, taking into consideration the quantity and nature of the curriculum through the time of the student’s departure. Finally, the student shall have the option of withdrawing from selected courses, receiving a pro-rated refund of tuition and fees for those courses, while also opting to receive a grade or incomplete in other courses in which the student is enrolled.
    Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in this Policy, administration of financial aid with respect to any eligible student shall be consistent with federal and state law. Students otherwise eligible for these benefits and receiving financial aid should immediately contact the financial aid office on their respective campuses, where each case must be addressed individually based upon the particular rules applicable to the relevant student. The campus financial aid offices shall address these matters in such a way so as to minimize the financial hardships to the student, while complying with the applicable law and regulations.
    This Policy shall appear in all student catalogs and placed on the websites of Central Administration and each Campus.
    This Policy applies to all administrative units of the University of Nebraska. Each campus may provide supplemental policy guidance, consistent with this Policy, designed to implement the provisions herein, including guidance relating to fees associated with meals and housing, textbooks, parking, lab and course fees, as well as other ancillary fees.

Dated this 17th day of October, 2001.

National Collegiate Athletic Association

The Athletic Certification Office is responsible for obtaining, evaluating, and documenting the academic credentials in accordance with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and conference eligibility rules for approximately 300 student-athletes. 

The NCAA has specified satisfactory progress requirements to determine the eligibility of continuing student-athletes, and these requirements must be met each semester. The Athletic Certification Office, housed in the Office of the University Registrar, works directly with academic advisors and the Athletics Department Academics and Compliances offices to determine athletic eligibility for each semester. 

The Athletic Certification Office is also responsible for financial aid certification. This includes maintaining the accuracy of the aid package, processing the approved Athletic Grant-In-Aid scholarships, and posting all financial aid data into MavLINK and both financial aid and academic eligibility data into the NCAA’s CAi software program.