Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit Policies and Procedures

  • Credits submitted only on official transcripts from other colleges or universities will be evaluated for admission to an undergraduate college by the Office of Admissions. Transcripts will become a part of the student’s permanent record maintained in the Office of the University Registrar. Transfer hours (and hours not accepted for transfer) from another institution are included in the overall GPA when determining honors for graduation. Final determination of transfer credit acceptance is ultimately made by an academic advisor in the student’s area of study.
  • In general, credits and grades earned at other University of Nebraska campuses will be accepted, computed into the student’s grade point average, and will become a part of the permanent record from which official transcripts will be made.
  • Only courses with a grade of “C-” or better will be accepted for transfer from regionally accredited two- and four-year colleges and universities.
  • Sixty-four (64) semester credit hours is the maximum allowed for transfer to most undergraduate UNO colleges from regionally accredited two-year colleges. The College of Engineering will allow a maximum of sixty-six (66) semester hours of credit.
  • All credit hours transferable are converted to semester credit hours (e.g., one-quarter hour equals 2/3 of a semester credit). 
  • Each UNO college has a required number of credit hours to be completed at UNO prior to graduation.
  • Students wishing to transfer credits from recognized institutions outside the United States may need to provide a course syllabus and catalog for evaluation of transfer credits.

Transfer Articulation Guide

The Transfer Articulation Guide is a tool students can use to see how coursework from other colleges and universities typically transfers to the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO). The information is provided only as a guide and should be considered unofficial. Final determination of transfer credit acceptance is ultimately made by an academic advisor in the student’s area of study. View the articulation guide.

Change of Campus

A Change of Campus application will need to be completed for any student who is attending or has attended one of the four campuses of the University of Nebraska System within the last five years and is applying for admission as a degree-seeking student at a new NU campus. A new application for admission will need to be completed to the new campus. Learn more about the Change of Campus application


An Intercampus application will need to be completed for students planning to attend a new Nebraska System Campus on a temporary/visiting basis, with the intention of returning to their current/home campus. Students should complete the Intercampus application on this website. Intercampus is for one term of enrollment only.

Advanced Placement Credit

The Advanced Placement Program is based on the belief that many students are capable of completing college-level courses while still in high school. With this belief in mind, the College Entrance Examination Board assists high schools in planning such courses and provides examinations for them.

The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) participates in the Advanced Placement (AP) program of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). Advanced Placement credit is based on criterion examination(s) administered by CEEB.

Students should contact their college advisor regarding the application of these credits to their academic program. Students must have official copies of their scores submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by College Board in order for credit to be awarded. To obtain copies of official grade reports, you can contact College Board directly at 888.CALL.4.AP. 

The Office of University Registrar manages the Advanced Placement Program at UNO. 

College Level Examination Program

The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) grants college credit for specific College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Exams with an acceptable score.

CLEP exams are given by appointment in the UNO Testing Center. Learn more about UNO CLEP exams UNO grants credit

Military Credit

Students must submit official transcripts to UNO to have military credit considered for evaluation:

  • Army, Coast Guard, Navy and Marine service members, reservists, guard and veterans can request the Joint Services Transcript.
  • Air Force Active Duty, Guard and Reservists or retired or separated Air Force Members may request transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force.

Military Credit will be evaluated by the student’s advisor in the college upon admission.

Retroactive Credit

Students may be eligible to apply for Retroactive Credit in English, Spanish, and French based on test scores in:

  • English Placement / Proficiency Exam (EPPE)
  • Advanced Placement
  • Spanish and French Placement Exams

Successful completion of a specific upper level UNO course is also required. Credit is granted through the specific department:

Please contact the specific department for more information.

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum leading to exams for students aged between 16 and 19. Students who participate in this program enroll in specially designed courses through their high school and take international exams in May.

Students with an IB Diploma earn an average of 25-28 university credits, including three (3) hours of credit in philosophy for completing the Theory of Knowledge course.

  • The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) cooperates with the International Baccalaureate Program (IB) in its curriculum and examinations program.
  • The results of the IB scores are furnished to UNO at the request of the student.
  • The number of earned credits a student will receive at UNO will be determined by the performance in the IB course and the score received on the exam.
  • To earn transfer credit, a score of five (5) or higher, in most exams, is required.
  • Credit will be granted for both the Standard Level (SL) and the Higher Level (HL) scores if an IB Diploma has been earned. HL scores for all other candidates will be awarded accordingly.

More detailed information can be found on the International Baccalaureate website.

Learn more about how UNO accepts International Baccalaureate exams.