All persons who attend classes at the university must be admitted to the University; they are required to register and pay the established tuition and fees. The dates, times, locations, and procedures for registration are listed each semester on the Office of the University Registrar's website


MavLINK is the online self-service application providing students with an array of information and direct access to their academic, financial, and personal data. Access to MavLINK is gained by the use of your UNO NetID or NUID and password. Access MavLINK here.


The UNO NetID is a combination of letters using your first and last name and is the username assigned to you by UNO. Learn more about NetIDs.


The NUID (Nebraska Unique Identifier) is a unique eight-digit number assigned to all students, faculty, and staff members during either admission or hiring. This number remains the same across the University of Nebraska and Nebraska State College system. Learn more about NUIDs.

Registration Requirements

Prior to the start of classes each session, students must register for courses according to instructions published on the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) website. To be eligible to register, a new or re-admitted student (one who has not enrolled during the previous two years) must have completed all admission requirements. Prior to registering, a student should seek assistance from an academic advisor within his/her college. Some colleges and departments require advising prior to registering. Every student is encouraged to review the requirements for his/her intended degree with an assigned academic advisor. This review should be scheduled in preparation for and prior to each registration period.

Students who have outstanding debts or fees owed to the University of Nebraska System will not be permitted to register until these obligations have been met. Academically suspended students will serve a one-year suspension.  Following this suspension period, these students will need to schedule an advising/reinstatement meeting with the College from which they were suspended in order to have their reinstatement hold released and be eligible to register for classes. If academically suspended students have not taken classes within the last two years, they will need to reapply to UNO first and then schedule their advising/reinstatement meeting.

Due to limited facilities and staff, the university cannot guarantee all students will be able to enroll for every course they wish in each semester.

How to Enroll and Make Changes to Enrollment

All adding, swapping, dropping, or withdrawing from courses is completed in MavLINK.

Adding a Class

A class can be added to a student’s schedule via MavLINK until the 100% refund period ends. Start dates are found on the class schedule. Refund dates can be found on the Cashiering and Student Accounts site. Late adds begin after the 100% refund period ends and require permission from the instructor prior to enrollment in MavLINK. A $25.00 Late Registration Fee will be assessed to those students whose initial enrollment takes place after the start of the session. Exceptions to this are thesis, internship, or independent study.

Dropping/Withdrawing From a Class

A class can be dropped or withdrawn from a student’s schedule via MavLINK up until the last day to withdraw. The last day to withdraw can be found on the Academic Calendar. Students can also contact the Office of the University Registrar to verify the last day to withdraw. Requests to drop a class submitted via email, fax or U.S. mail will be processed based on the dates appearing on the email, fax or U.S. mail postmark.

Drops can only be completed in the 100% refund period of your course. If students drop the course from their schedule during this period, it will not be listed on their academic transcript.

Withdraws can be completed up until the last day to withdraw for the semester. The last day to withdraw can be found on the Academic Calendar. If students withdraw from a course, a grade of "W" will be listed on their academic transcript. "W" grades have no impact on the academic GPA. 

Students who drop or withdraw from one or more classes, or who completely withdraw from all courses will be obligated to UNO for the portion of tuition indicated on the refund schedule. Students who completely withdraw are also obligated to pay the non-refundable portion of tuition and fees for the class(es) from which they are withdrawing. Students who are currently enrolled can click on the "refund" link next to each class in their schedule inside MavLINK to check refund percentage dates.

Swapping a Class

Swapping a class allows students to save their space in the original class while trying to enroll for a new course. It is a safer way to make changes to their existing class schedule during periods in which many other students are also enrolling for their classes.

  1. Swaps must be done on the same day.
  2. Swaps are allowed during the first week of the standard semester. For classes that are outside the regular session, it will be necessary to contact the Office of the University Registrar to complete a swap.
  3. Swaps are only allowed for classes in the same session.
  4. Classes used for swaps cannot be used again for another swap.

Permission Numbers

A permission number must be entered for any courses that require instructor or department consent.  A Permission Number is entered via MavLINK. A permission number may also override any prerequisite or GPA requirement, as well as a closed course. A permission number will NOT override a time conflict. The instructor or advisor must request a time conflict override through the Office of the University Registrar on the student’s behalf.

Receiving a permission number does not register the student for the course. It only means that students are able to proceed with enrollment for the course. Once the permission number is issued, the student must register via MavLINK for the course by using the number provided.

Permission numbers are BOTH course section and term specific. The student must ensure the permission is issued for the exact course he/she wants. The student will NOT be able to register for a different section of the same course. For example, if a permission number is issued for ENGL 1160-003, they will not be able to register for ENGL 1160-006. A new number will need to be issued for the student by their advisor or department contact. Remember, permission numbers can only be used once.

Permission numbers not used before the end of the 100% refund period will expire. A new number will need to be issued to enroll after the 100% refund period.

Registration Waitlist

A registration waitlist is an electronic process that auto-enrolls students in closed classes as seats become available. Waitlists operate on a first-come, first-served basis, so this process ensures that students who register for the waitlist sooner have a better chance of getting into a closed course. Waitlists are only available once the class is full. For high-demand classes, this may be the first day of registration or, for other classes, as late as the week before the term starts.

Waitlisted classes do not count toward a student’s enrolled hours. If a student’s financial aid requires full-time enrollment, he/she needs be sure to enroll in enough credits without counting waitlisted classes. Each department is responsible for determining if their class offerings should have a waitlist or not.

For courses with no waitlist available, students will need to check regularly for possible openings. Students may add themselves to any number of waitlists but will not be enrolled beyond the maximum number of hours allowed for that term. Students may remove themselves from a waitlist by following the same process as dropping a class. Learn more about the Registration Waitlist.

Audit Registration Policies and Procedures

All persons wishing to audit a course must be admitted and eligible to enroll in classes for the term in question. Students may only register to audit a course on or after the first day of the semester. Audit students may not participate in recitation, turn in papers, or take examinations. Academic credit is not awarded for audited courses nor do they apply in counting hours for full- or half-time status. Foreign language and physical education activity courses cannot be taken on an audit basis. Audit registration is subject to available class space, requires the written permission of the instructor, and can be done via email or in person at the Office of the University Registrar, 105 Eppley Administration Building. Audit tuition is one-half of the applicable resident undergraduate or graduate tuition rate. The half-price tuition rate for audit courses is available only during the first week of the semester. Audit enrollments are assessed the same student fees as credit enrollments. Likewise, audits are refunded at the same rate as credit enrollments.

Students who register to take a course for credit and change to audit after the first week of class will be required to pay the full applicable tuition rate.

Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Classes

An undergraduate junior or senior who is pursuing a baccalaureate degree at the university may be granted permission to take one or more graduate courses if they meet the following conditions outlined below. Students pursuing Fast Track (previously known as integrated programs) will not complete this form.

  1. No credit earned under this provision may be used to fulfill any of the requirements for the undergraduate degree.
  2. A maximum of 12 credit hours at UNO may be earned under this provision.
  3. Juniors must have a minimum average GPA of 3.5 in the undergraduate major, and seniors must have a minimum average GPA of 3.0 in the undergraduate major.
  4. The student must secure the required Department/School Representative signature before presenting the form to the Graduate College.
  5. In order to register for the course(s) noted on the form, the student must return to the department/school for a permit number after receiving the dean for graduate studies permission. Once a permit number has been provided by the department/school, the student will then be able to register via MavLINK.

Please find the form on the Graduate Studies Student Forms & Resources webpage.

The graduate program determines after admission if graduate credits taken as an undergraduate student will fulfill the requirements of a graduate program. There is no guarantee that graduate credits taken as an undergraduate student will count toward a graduate program.

Class Schedule

The UNO public class search is available online at www.unomaha.edu/class-search/index.php. Course offerings are subject to change. Final authority for changes in course offerings rests with academic departments. For questions concerning course offerings, contact the academic department. For general information about enrollment or instructions on how to use MavLINK, visit the Office of the University Registrar’s Enrollment page at: https://www.unomaha.edu/registrar/students/after-enrollment/adding-swapping-dropping-or-withdrawing-from-a-course.php 

Student Attendance Policy

Classes are conducted on the premise that regular attendance is desirable. The individual instructor has responsibility for managing student attendance and for communicating at the beginning of each semester those class attendance policies which prevail in that course.

UNO Student Attendance Policy https://www.unomaha.edu/campus-policies/student-attendance.php

Student Holds

A hold can be placed on a student's record for reasons including but not limited to:

  • Non-payment of debt (tuition payments, parking tickets, library fines, etc.)
  • Academic suspension
  • Failure to meet immunization requirements
  • Required academic advising
  • Missing admission information
  • Non-compliance with other university regulations/obligations

A hold on the record can impact one or more of the following:

  • Enrollment – ability to register for classes (Dropping and withdrawing from classes will need to be completed in person at the Office of the University Registrar.)
  • Receiving a transcript or diploma
  • Refund from Student Accounts

Class Standing

A student’s academic classification is determined by the number of semester hours of academic credit earned.

Academic Classification Range in Semester Hours
Freshman 0 through 26
Sophomore 27 through 57
Junior 58 through 90
Senior 91 or above

Student Academic Course Load

  1. A normal student load is 12 to 18 credit hours.
  2. Full-Time Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours in a fall semester, spring semester, or summer term to be considered a full-time student.
    Half-Time Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours in a fall semester, spring semester, or summer term to be considered a half-time student.
  3. Students shall not carry 18 or more semester hours of work during the fall semester, 19 or more semester hours during the spring semester and 12 semester hours during the summer sessions unless they have maintained an average of “B” (3.0) in a regular 15-hour load during the preceding semester. Permission to register for additional semester should be obtained from the student’s academic advisor.
  4. Audit hours do not apply in counting hours for full-time status.

Declaring and Changing a Major

Undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to identify major areas of study in conjunction with their academic advisors early in their academic career. In order for an undergraduate student to make a change to the declared major or minor program of study, he/she will need to speak to the department that houses the program.

An appointment with an academic advisor may be required and is suggested in order to review requirements. Once a student has decided to make the change official, the academic advisor will submit a Change of Program eForm in MavLINK on their behalf. This eForm will route to any necessary approvers for review before being processed by the Office of the University Registrar. The student and submitting advisor will receive email notifications once the change has been processed.

Athletic Certification Office

The Athletic Certification Office is responsible for obtaining, evaluating, and documenting the academic credentials in accordance with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and conference eligibility rules for approximately 300 student-athletes. 

The NCAA has specified satisfactory progress requirements to determine the eligibility of continuing student-athletes, and these requirements must be met each semester. The Athletic Certification Office, housed in the Office of the University Registrar, works directly with academic advisors and the Athletics Department Academics and Compliances offices to determine athletic eligibility for each semester. 

The Athletic Certification Office is also responsible for financial aid certification. This includes maintaining the accuracy of the aid package, processing the approved Athletic Grant-In-Aid scholarships, and posting all financial aid data into MavLINK and both financial aid and academic eligibility data into the NCAA’s CAi software program.

Civil Leave (Statutory Leave)

When a student receives a written notice to provide mandated community service as an election official, juror or witness, he or she must notify the course instructor of the time when the service will be required, within five business days after notice of mandated service is received by the student (or at the start of the semester if notice is received prior to the semester). A copy of the notice must be provided to the instructor.

The instructor will allow the student summoned to mandatory community service an excused absence from the course on the day(s) required for Statutory Leave.

Upon request of the student taking leave, the instructor will ask for another class member to take notes during the period of Statutory Leave.

If Statutory Leave occurs during a critical period in the course (e.g. an exam; in-class graded assignment; group project; participation-required day), the instructor will work with the summoned student to determine if the missed day(s) will likely have a negative impact on the student’s grade and whether the assignment or exam can be accommodated at a later time.

If Statutory Leave causes an extensive loss of class time for the student or will likely negatively impact the student’s grade or learning experience, the instructor and student will determine whether it is best for the student to receive a grade of Incomplete or Withdrawal for the course.

If a grade of Incomplete is chosen, the instructor and student will formally document the procedure required to complete the course.

If a grade of Withdrawal is chosen, the student should receive a prorated refund of tuition and fees paid for the course.

Student Called into Military Service

Executive Memorandum No. 23

    This Policy shall be implemented in order that the University of Nebraska might provide equitable, consistent treatment to its students who are called into military service and to facilitate their ability to continue their education once that military service is completed.
    Students who are regularly enrolled in any class or program offered by the University of Nebraska are eligible for the benefits described in this Policy, if they: (a) belong to a military unit that is called into active duty, or (b) are drafted and not eligible for deferment; such that the date upon which they are required to report to active duty prohibits them, as a practical matter, from completing the term in which they are enrolled.
    An eligible student may elect to cancel registration in all classes in which he or she is enrolled at the time the call for duty is received. In such case, the student shall receive a full refund for all tuition and student fees paid on behalf of that student. In the alternative, the student may request his or her instructors to award a grade or an incomplete for all classes. If an incomplete is given, then the instructor shall file in the student’s educational records and provide to the student specific instructions regarding the study and activities required to complete the course. If a grade and credit are awarded, then the instructor shall award a grade reflective of the student’s performance, taking into consideration the quantity and nature of the curriculum through the time of the student’s departure. Finally, the student shall have the option of withdrawing from selected courses, receiving a pro-rated refund of tuition and fees for those courses, while also opting to receive a grade or incomplete in other courses in which the student is enrolled.
    Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in this Policy, administration of financial aid with respect to any eligible student shall be consistent with federal and state law. Students otherwise eligible for these benefits and receiving financial aid should immediately contact the financial aid office on their respective campuses, where each case must be addressed individually based upon the particular rules applicable to the relevant student. The campus financial aid offices shall address these matters in such a way so as to minimize the financial hardships to the student, while complying with the applicable law and regulations.
    This Policy shall appear in all student catalogs and placed on the websites of Central Administration and each Campus.
    This Policy applies to all administrative units of the University of Nebraska. Each campus may provide supplemental policy guidance, consistent with this Policy, designed to implement the provisions herein, including guidance relating to fees associated with meals and housing, textbooks, parking, lab and course fees, as well as other ancillary fees.

Dated this 17th day of October, 2001.