Business for Bioscientists Certificate
College of Business Administration; Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences
This certificate program provides a basic understanding of business principles to biomedical PhD students. While UNMC PhD students receive extensive training in research methods and the principles of biology and medicine, they receive no formal training in business fundamentals. However, a significant portion of biomedical PhD students obtain employment in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other industries. For students with these career goals, formal training in business would markedly enhance their career options and competitiveness for these industry positions.
Program Contact Information
312 Mammel Hall (MH)
6708 Pine Street
Ms. Jessica Kampfe, MBA Advisor
311 Mammel Hall (MH)
6708 Pine Street
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 1
- All applicants must have earned a minimum junior/senior GPA of 2.85.
- Entrance Exam
- Official GMAT score: minimum GMAT score of 500 with a minimum 20th percentile for both the verbal and quantitative portions, or 299 on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) with a minimum 20th percentile for both verbal and quantitative sections for GRE test dates after July 1, 2015.
- Applicants qualify for a GMAT/GRE waiver if they meet one of the following requirements:
- Selected Professional Certification from the list on Certopedia or equivalent certification lists that include a qualifying exam and Continuing Education requirements
- Confirmed Professional Engineer license
- Graduate degree possession from any AACSB accredited college or university
- Admission to any domestic or international dual-degree program approved by UNO College of Business Administration, including a 3.33 cumulative GPA
- Bachelor’s degree from AACSB accredited college or university, with a 3.33 cumulative GPA
- Bachelor’s degree from non-AACSB accredited colleges or universities, with a 3.33 cumulative GPA, will be evaluated individually for a GMAT waiver
- Include employment and educational history
Applicants are required to have a command of oral and written English. Those who do not hold a baccalaureate or other advanced degree from the U.S., OR a baccalaureate or other advanced degree from a pre-determined country on the waiver list, must meet the minimum language proficiency score requirement in order to be considered for admission.
- The minimum TOEFL score required for this certificate program is 80 or 6.5 on the IELTS.
Degree Requirements (12 hours)
The 12 credit hours needed to fulfill certificate requirements does not include the foundation courses listed below.
|These courses are not applicable to the completion of the certificate requirements.|
|BSAD 8110||ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL FUNDAMENTALS||3|
|BSAD 8180||ANALYTICAL FOUNDATIONS OF ECONOMICS||3|
|BSAD 8060||PEOPLE: CULTIVATING SKILLS FOR LEADERSHIP||2|
|BSAD 8420||MARKETING: UNDERSTANDING CONSUMERS AND MARKETS||2|
|Select a minimum of 5 hours from the following:||5|
|BSAD 8150||ECONOMICS: ESSENTIAL CONCEPTS FOR MANAGERS||2|
|BSAD 8210||ACCOUNTING: DECISIONS & CONSEQUENCES||2|
|BSAD 8250||ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR: ENHANCING HUMAN & ORGANIZATIONAL CAPABILITIES||2|
|ISQA 8400||CLINICAL SYSTEMS ARCHITECTURE AND FUNCTION||3|
|BSAD 8910||SPECIAL TOPICS IN BUSINESS (Business for Bioscientists) 1||3|
All other courses in the program must have been completed prior to enrolling in BSAD 8910.