Admission Policies and Standards

Nebraska Unique Identification Number (NUID)/Password and Use of Social Security Number

A social security number is requested on the application for admission for the sole purpose of verifying credentials, document matching, and determining eligibility for and awarding financial aid or scholarships. Applicants who do not have a social security number may still apply for admission but are not eligible to apply for federal financial aid. For security reasons, students applying for admission are assigned a Nebraska Unique Identification (NUID) number for campus services, logging onto MavLINK (UNO’s online student services system), and for student photo identification purposes. The NUID number is an eight-digit, unique number within the University of Nebraska system and is transferable among University of Nebraska system campuses. For more information, visit

During the application process, an NUID and temporary password will be assigned to you. You will be asked to select a personal MavLINK password.

Provisional Admission

Students who are admitted pending the receipt of final admission documents are considered to be Provisionally Admitted to the University.

All offers of admission are provisional if you have high school or collegiate coursework in progress. Final admission is dependent on receipt and review of your final transcripts. Admission offers are subject to cancellation if your final coursework does not meet admission requirements.

Required documents needed to complete your admission can be viewed on MavLINK. All documents must be submitted within the first eight weeks of the first term of enrollment. Failure to do so will result in an enrollment hold blocking further registration. Only one term of provisional admission/enrollment is allowed. No extensions or waivers of the enrollment hold will be granted. It is the student’s responsibility to provide all credentials required for admission.

U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, Immigrants, Refugees, Asylees and Other Status Types

All students who are not on a nonimmigrant visa are eligible to apply for domestic undergraduate admission. If a student has applied for or has been granted permanent residency, asylee status or refugee status, or Temporary Protected Status (TPS) then documentation of such status is required for admission. If the student cannot provide such documentation and is a Nebraska high school graduate, options for paying resident tuition are available. Refer to the “Residency for Tuition Purposes” section of this catalog for additional information. All students on an international student nonimmigrant visa must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admission at

Residency for Tuition Purposes

Initial residency classification for tuition purposes is determined by information you provide when you apply for admission. If you are living or attending school outside Nebraska, if you recently moved to Nebraska, or if you graduated from high school outside the State of Nebraska, you may be initially classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes. It is the student’s responsibility to provide any additional information that may be required to make an accurate residency determination.

In 2006, the Nebraska state legislature passed a law granting resident tuition to students who do not hold official U.S. status and meet certain criteria. Students must meet the following qualifications: (1) graduated from a Nebraska high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Nebraska, (2) resided in Nebraska with a parent, guardian, or conservator for a least three years prior to the graduation date and (3) provide an affidavit stating he or she will file an application to become a U.S. Permanent Resident at the earliest opportunity at which he or she is eligible to do so. For more information about the residency policy or the affidavit, see the “Residency Policy” section or contact the UNO Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

UNO participates in some reduced tuition programs based on the state or county the student is from such as the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) and the Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP). Students must meet UNO’s general admission requirements and, for the MSEP program, meet minimum academic eligibility requirements. For more information on requirements for these programs, see the “Residency Policy” section or contact the UNO Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Applicants Who Apply for Admission and Decide Not to Enroll

Students who apply for admission and decide not to enroll for the indicated term should do the following:

  • Applicants can notify the UNO Office of Undergraduate Admissions via e-mail ( indicating they will not be attending. Upon receipt of this notification the student’s application will be withdrawn. 
  • If the student wishes to enroll for a future term, a new application for admission must be submitted.
  • A previously paid application fee is valid for one year from the term it was originally submitted.
  • Transcripts that have been sent to the UNO Office of Undergraduate Admissions for students who do not enroll will be retained for one year. If the student applies for admission beyond that, new transcripts need to be provided for admission consideration.
  • If the student has been awarded any financial aid from a non-UNO source, the student should notify the Office of Financial Support and Scholarships which may cancel or reduce UNO financial aid.

Applicants with Academic Suspension or Dismissal Record

Students whose academic records reflect they were placed on academic suspension or dismissal during the last calendar year at any college or university are not eligible for admission to UNO. Once the university has received a transcript or other notification indicating suspension or dismissal within the last calendar year admission will be cancelled and/or the student will be disenrolled from classes and any tuition paid to date for the semester would be refunded. The student would be eligible to reapply for admission to UNO after one full year from the end of the last term in which the student was suspended.

Fraudulent and Incomplete Applications

The University reserves the right to deny or revoke admission, including dismissal from the university, if any information is given falsely or withheld on the admission application or if transcripts/documents submitted in support of an admission application or to obtain residency are discovered to be altered or fraudulent.