International Applicants

Applying Online

Applications for admission are available on-line at

Application Fees are expected for all students and must be paid when the application is submitted. Applications will not be processed unless the fee is included.

Documentation Needed

International Applicants Admission Requirements

Official Transcripts. International students must submit, official academic records and graduation examination results for all secondary and post-secondary institutions attended with any certificates and/or diplomas awarded. Official academic records, certificates, and diplomas not issued in English also require certified English translations. Post-secondary institutions include colleges, universities, professional schools, vocational schools, trade schools, and technical institutes. If a student has attended a post-secondary institution, academic records are required even if a certificate and/or degree was not awarded and/or transfer credit is not desired by the student. These documents should be sent directly from the foreign institution or translation service when possible. If a foreign institution or agency is unable to send records, documents may be emailed by the student to or mailed to the address below. Students enrolled in other U.S. institutions must have official transcripts sent directly to UNO. Official transcripts can be sent electronically from the U.S. institution to or sent via courier to:

Undergraduate Admissions
Eppley Administration Building, Room 111
6001 Dodge Street
Omaha, NE 68182-0080

Passport.  All international students need to email a copy of their passport information page to

Proof of English Proficiency. Undergraduate applicants must demonstrate English proficiency through one of the options listed on the Catalog under Admission Requirements. English proficiency test results can be emailed to or sent directly to UNO from the testing agency. If the testing agency is unable to send records, documents may be emailed by the student to or mailed to the address above.

Proof of Financial Support for F-1 or J-1 Visa Applicants or Holders. U.S. Federal law requires international students applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa to demonstrate adequate funding through personal, family, and/or a sponsor’s financial resources. Students must provide evidence of sufficient funds in their possession to finance their first year of study when applying for admission. Student and/or sponsor bank statements with original signatures and bank seals or stamps must be provided. In addition to a bank statement, a UNO financial affidavit signed by the student and all sponsors is required. Bank statements and UNO Financial Affidavits should be no more than six months old at the time they are submitted. Failure to submit a completed financial affidavit and an original bank statement will prevent UNO from issuing an I-20 or DS-2019. Financial documents should be submitted electronically to

Conditional Undergraduate Admission

International students applying for undergraduate admission that do not meet the English proficiency requirement may be eligible for Conditional Undergraduate Admission. Full undergraduate admission will be granted upon successful completion of UNO's Intensive English Language Program (ILUNO) and with a qualifying English proficiency score.

Students will be eligible for admission to an undergraduate program:

  1. Upon successful completion of UNO's Intensive English Program with a qualifying English proficiency score.
  2. A minimum of one ILUNO session is expected.
  3. Non-qualifying English proficiency score within range may be eligible for full admission with ILUNO consideration and permission from the ILUNO Director.

SPECIAL NOTE: A change of status of the Form I-20 will be made upon full undergraduate admission. The student is responsible for requesting a change of status to their Form I-20 upon full undergraduate admission.

F-1 or J-1 Visa Applicants Applying as a Non-Degree Seeking Students

International students who are F-1 or J-1 visa applicants or holders may apply as non-degree students if they:

  • Have permission letter from their current institution to be enrolled part-time at UNO while remaining on the I-20 of their current school;
  • Are referred as a participant in an international exchange program between UNO and their home institution; OR
  • Have a recommendation letter from their home institution or employer. Students applying under this option should contact International Admissions at for details about content requirements for the letter.

Health Insurance

Due to the high cost of healthcare in the U.S., UNO offers health insurance to its international students at a reasonable rate. Students who do not have a university-approved policy from overseas are required to participate in this Student Health Insurance plan. 

Admission for International Students

Most admissions decisions are made within one week after all required documentation is received.  Upon admission to UNO, the student will receive a separate email of their I-20. Please note, the I-20 and admission letter will not be released to friends or family members.  For those who are J-1 visa applicants, the email pertaining to the I-20 will include the DS-2019.  For those who are visiting F-1 visa holders enrolling part-time at UNO, they will remain on an I-20 at their current school, a new I-20 will not be issued.